Monday 27 October 2008

Adventures with my sock machine

Just been having another go at doing toe up socks on my CSM. I had a go at doing it this way up a couple of years ago, but I was using silk and it got very snarled up.  Todays attempt in wool was rather more successful, so here it is step by step:

Start by joining in your sock yarn and go straight into making a toe by the usual method (white yarn is waste, cream is the sock yarn)














Then, drop the remaining toe stitches onto the relevant 
needles- this is the bit I was finding hard- wool is indeed much easier but its still a bit of a stretch on my 84 cylinder:











then you just crank on until its time to do the heel, you 
 can just see the line of waste yarn where you would normally have to kitchiner- that can be ripped out once the sock is off the machine.









and finally, more for
 comedy value than anything else, the sock on the machine once the waste is ripped off:

2 comments:

RobbinMT said...

Thanks for the pictures! A friend of mine just got a sock knitting machine and she is madly experimenting. i have joined her in alternately cursing and blessing the thing! - do you use yours much? i am debating asking my dh for one in exchange for the promise of unlimited socks.....

Sally in Wales said...

yep, I use mine all the time but then I knit for the re-enactors so it gets lots of good use there. Great gadgets, I love using something with such a history to it.